Alabama Alliance/Alabama Alliance Network - Executive Director
The Alabama Alliance and Alabama Alliance Network (the Alliance) are in search of a bold and entrepreneurial leader to serve as the Executive Director of our new organizations.
We are an alliance of business and community leaders who believe that we have a historic opportunity and responsibility to help build an inclusive democracy in Alabama. Through this work the voices of historically underrepresented Alabamians will inform policy and electoral advocacy that improves the lives of all Alabamians, ensuring high-quality education, access to healthcare and broadly shared prosperity. Guided by the Committee on States model and with the support of that entity, we seek to build gender and racial equity in our state through greater civic engagement and building pathways for people in Alabama to participate in decision-making processes that affect their lives. A more inclusive democracy is key to creating an environment of growth and a welcoming place to live and work.
The Executive Director will play a central role in developing the Alabama Alliance’s vision, priorities and goalsin conjunction with the Board (s) of Directors. The Executive Director will help establish a strong coalition of donors who share that vision and will work with the Boards and partner organizations to implement a strategy to achieve our shared goals.
The Alliance organizations will serve as catalysts in the civic engagement community, supporting groups that are already doing effective work in Alabama and helping build a collaborative approach to creating success. The Alliance will work in partnership with the civic engagement community to align around a statewide plan and work together to fund that plan. It will invest in permanent, statewide capacity-building infrastructure for policy and advocacy.
The ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial mindset and is a strategic thinker, a confident fundraiser, and a collaborative leader. This is a unique opportunity for someone who is passionate about achieving positive social change in a southern state.
- Work with the Boards and stakeholders to develop the Alliance and Alliance Network’s priorities, goals and objectives, with a focus on filling gaps in Alabama’s civic engagement and policy infrastructure
- Communicate effectively and sensitively with a wide range of stakeholders through strong written, verbal and relational skills
- Represent and establish relationships for the Alliance and Alliance Network with allies, partners, elected officials, grantees and other funders
- Using the Committee on States framework, adapt and replicate successful models and best practices from other states
- Create inclusive, respectful processes that incorporate the experience, knowledge, and needs of all Alabamians in considering strategy, tactics and investment decisions
- Develop tools to evaluate investments in civic engagement programs in Alabama, and use these tools to ensure strong results from the grant and program portfolio
- Elevate racial, gender and LGBTQ equity as core evaluation measurements to qualify for funding.
- Create and implement a multi-year donor-development and fundraising plan that supports the organizations’ priorities, goals and objectives
- Develop a staffing plan and recruit a capable team that will help the Alliance and Alliance Network achieve their missions
- Ensure legal and financial compliance
- Develop and track the budget and manage fiscal operations of the organization
- 7+ years work experience leading civic engagement, advocacy, or political activities or campaigns
- 3+ years in senior roles in fundraising, board and staff management and operations
- Deep commitment to the mission, vision and values of the Alabama Alliance.
- Skills and experience working to elevate underrepresented communities and voices
- High level understanding of social and political change movements and campaigns
- Experience with legal and financial aspects of 501c3 and 501c4 organizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to build strong partnerships with donors and allied groups
- Entrepreneurial spirit and calculated risk taking
- Strategic thinker and problem solver
- Collaborative leadership style
- Expertise in building, maintaining and working in diverse coalitions
- Experience managing staff in a positive, team-oriented environment
- Experience in Alabama or a politically and culturally similar state is highly desired
Location and Compensation
This position is located in Birmingham, Alabama. The salary range is $90,000-$105,000.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Alabama Alliance and Alabama Alliance Network are equal opportunity employers committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. The Alabama Alliance and Alabama Alliance Network seeks an environment where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. Women and persons of color are encouraged to apply.