America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment, and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 key states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states in 2020. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by- election.
America Votes and their partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to win elections. In 2020, the America Votes coalition will deploy their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort which will target millions of voters in key states.
America Votes is seeking a talented leader to serve as the Director of Talent and People Operations.
This is a new position that will help develop and implement the vision for building, growing, and retaining a high-performing team at America Votes.
The Director will manage all Human Resources processes and oversee the employee benefits programs, the implementation of personnel policies and practices, and employee engagement programs.
The Director will serve as a key thought partner to leadership and staff on applying a strong equity and inclusion lens to management practices, hiring, and organizational planning.
The ideal candidate will have superb interpersonal skills, excellent judgement and discretion and be committed to fostering trust and respect with staff at all levels of the organization.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic leader with significant human resources experience and a commitment to advancing progressive change to serve in a key position at a high-impact organization that will play a critical role in the 2020 elections and beyond.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
- Oversee organization-wide talent management and development initiatives
- Manage HR processes, including hiring, on/offboarding, performance management and professional development
- Serve as a thought partner to staff on applying a strong equity and inclusion lens to all hiring and management practices and organizational structure
- Oversee benefits program, including relationships with brokers and contractors, and serve as a resource for staff regarding benefits
- Collaborate with hiring managers to ensure search processes are equitable and meet AV’s quality standards
- Oversee professional development initiatives, including internal training strategy and implementation
- Lead development of staff engagement programs including staff retreats, meetings, and surveys
- Manage “progress-to-goals” process, including coordination with staff to monitor progress towards goals and analyze results
- Support organization-wide strategic planning processes
- Five to seven years’ experience and a proven track record in roles focused on building and supporting a diverse and talented staff
- Commitment to create, uphold, and model a values-based, equitable, and inclusive organizational culture
- Ability to diagnose issues and exercise sound judgment in complex and sensitive HR situations
- Strong experience in employee relations
- Ability to manage or improve internal processes from a systems perspective
- Outstanding relationship building skills with the ability to build trust with colleagues across difference
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to help build equitable and inclusive environments, including through systems, processes, and practices
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite
- SHRM-SCP, SPHR and/or other HR certifications preferred
- Progressive non-profit experience preferred
- Political or advocacy campaign experience a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, tactfulness, and excellent judgment
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively
- Deeply organized, reliable and highly attentive to detail
- Self-starter and willing to work in a fast-paced environment, including long, irregular ‘campaign-style’ hours when needed
- Exceptional team player; exemplifies a work style that is flexible, respectful, and nimble
- Collaborative leadership style with an all-hands-on-deck attitude
- Spirit of service and a sense of humor preferred
Compensation and Location
Salary is commensurate with experience, $90,000-$110,000. Benefits include health, dental, vision, and 401(K).
This position is based in Washington, DC. Please note all America Votes staff have the option to work remotely through at least December 2020, due to the public health crisis.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.