America Votes – Nevada State Director
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment, and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 key states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states in 2020. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by- election.
America Votes and their partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to win elections. In 2020, the America Votes coalition will deploy their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort which will target millions of voters in key states.
America Votes is seeking a talented leader with a record of success in coalition building and electoral and issue campaigns to serve as the Nevada State Director.
The State Director is responsible for leading and supporting local, state, and national America Votes partner organizations in the development and execution of coordinated plans to advance progressive change in Nevada.
The State Director will grow the state coalition and coordinate strategies between state and national partners to win elections and maximize the priorities, resources, and effectiveness of all partners.
The State Director will take a strategic and comprehensive approach to coalition management, planning and decision making and have the ability to lead through periods of political transition and membership expansion. The Director will recognize and capitalize on political opportunities while staying focused on long-term strategic priorities.
The ideal candidate will have superb interpersonal skills, the ability to forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders, and a commitment to fostering trust and respect with partner organizations.
Location and Reporting Structure
This position is based in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Nevada State Director reports to the National Field Director of America Votes.
- Coalition Leadership: Work with America Votes partner organizations and stakeholders to design efficient and effective statewide and ballot-level electoral and voter education plans based on long-term priorities. Evaluate and report on stakeholder’s partner program outcomes and monitor progress toward goals. Work with America Votes’ national development team to identify in-state funding opportunities to support America Votes’ operations and partner-led programs.
- Staff Management: Manage state staff of America Votes, including development of work plans, professional development, and ongoing supervision and support. Implement America Votes organizational goals and manage staff toward delivering on the shared goals of the organization.
- Coalition Management: Convene individual coalition partners and the collective table on a regular basis and facilitate discussions, decision making, and other critical work. Assist local organizations in identifying resources to build capacity and improve performance, shared strategy, and organization-specific campaign plans. Ensure the security, development, and appropriate usage of the state voter file. Implement systems for ongoing evaluation of effectiveness of strategies. Work directly with national staff and partners to ensure smooth communication with state operations. Explore strategic opportunities to expand coalition membership, partnerships, and collaborations with community stakeholders. Facilitate a collaborative and productive state coalition environment that advances racial equity goals.
- Equity and Inclusion: Facilitate ongoing conversations and collective steps toward greater clarity and measurable action toward equity in the work of the coalition and partner members.
- Advance Election Modernization: Develop and implement ongoing programs and legislative advocacy related to election modernization in collaboration with voting rights organizations and advocates.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Electoral and advocacy campaign experience and outstanding organizing skills.
- Expertise in electoral field program management, including the ability to write, evaluate, and execute winning campaign plans with a strong field component.
- Ability to successfully manage a coalition in a thoughtful, strategic and inclusive manner.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, preferably in electoral, campaign, or organizing settings.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent political judgement and discretion.
- Strong staff management skills, including the ability to foster a culture of collaboration, support, mentoring, and consistent feedback.
- Ability to negotiate, build consensus, resolve conflicts, and strategically disagree.
- Ability to gain respect and trust of progressive stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to understand and synthesize data, using it to inform strategy and problem solve.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours and to travel as needed.
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency in Google Suite tools or MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience working with independent expenditure campaigns and VAN.
- Knowledge or background in Nevada politics, organizations and the Nevada legislature.
- Experience with digital programs, new voter contact technologies, and program testing.
Salary is commensurate with experience, $80,000 - $88,000. Benefits include health, dental, vision and 401(k).
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.