America Votes - Deputy Field Director
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 key states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
America Votes is also committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states in 2020. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, they are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by-election.
America Votes and their partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to win elections. In 2020, the America Votes coalition will deploy their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort which will target millions of voters in key states.
America Votes is seeking a talented leader and organizer with a record of success managing electoral and issue campaigns to serve as a Deputy Field Director.
The Deputy Field Director will work directly with the National Field Director to support the America Votes’ state table network including fostering the growth, sustainability and effectiveness of existing and emerging state tables.
The Deputy Field Director supports state teams in the development, implementation, and analysis of state campaign plans, with an emphasis on direct voter contact.
The ideal candidate will be highly organized with the ability to forge strong relationships with multiple stakeholders, and a commitment to fostering trust and respect with partner organizations. The Deputy Field Director will be goal oriented, highly organized, and enjoy developing, maintaining and creating systems to manage large amounts of information.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated organizer to work with the country’s leading progressive organizations to secure victories in 2020 and to serve on the staff at a high-impact organization that will play a critical role in the 2020 elections.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by
- and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
- Work with the National Field Director to foster the growth, sustainability and effectiveness of existing and emerging state tables.
- Support state teams with the development, implementation, and analysis of state campaign plans, with an emphasis on direct voter contact programs.
- Maintain ongoing knowledge of state table operations and programs, including cross-state and state-specific products in order to provide information to a national political audience.
- Develop content for reports and presentations for a diverse audience of stakeholders.
- Support state table directors in constructing of campaign plans, including the drafting of field
- budgets, work plans, campaign training and overall timelines. May include direct voter contact work.
- Identify opportunities for cross-state learning among state table staff on best practices.
- Assist in developing, maintaining and updating resources for the states.
- Help identify and maintain a suite of professional development and training opportunities for state table directors, state table staff and state table partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Four years of campaign experience, with at least two years executing program in a state. Strong background in direct voter contact programs preferred.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, particularly in political, field, and organizing settings.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, build consensus, resolve conflicts and strategically disagree.
- Experience with electoral plan writing, targeting, and modeling.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work with leaders, members, and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent political judgement and discretion.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a rapid paced environment.
- Ability to travel, up to 50%, during key time periods.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite.
- Knowledge of progressive organizations and operations a plus.
- Experience with IE campaigns and VAN a plus.
- Spirit of service and a sense of humor preferred.
Location and Compensation
This position can be based in Washington, DC or in one of the states in the America Votes network. States in the America Votes network can be found here: www.americavotes.org.
Salary is commensurate with experience, $70,000-$75,000. Benefits include health, dental, vision and 401(K).
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.