America Votes - Deputy Political Director
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 key states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
America Votes is also committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states in 2020. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, they are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by-election.
America Votes and their partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to win elections. In 2020, the America Votes coalition will deploy their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort which will target millions of voters in key states.
America Votes is seeking two Deputy Political Directors to work with the country’s leading progressive organizations to secure victories in 2020 and to join the staff at a high-impact organization that will play a critical role in the 2020 elections.
The Deputy Political Directors will work directly with the National Political Director to help lead engagement and high-level program coordination of 60+ national partner organizations. Working collaboratively with a subset of partners, each Deputy Director will ensure programs and elections advance the shared long-term vision for progressive change. The Deputy Directors will help execute strategies to coordinate national and state-based partners’ programs, building a seamless and unique connection between state and national efforts.
These positions are exciting opportunities for talented leaders with experience working on issue and electoral campaigns and a strong understanding of coalitions. The Deputy Political Directors will be goal oriented, highly organized, and experience in developing, maintaining and creating systems to manage large amounts of information.
The ideal candidates will have superb interpersonal skills, capable of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders and committed to fostering trust and respect with partner organizations.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
- Drive America Votes’ strategy for the ongoing engagement and program coordination with a subset of national partner organizations.
- Implement strategic engagements with partners and ensure they are informed, connected and collaborating toward shared goals.
- Maintain and expand systems to track and report partner programs and priorities, including key states and elections.
- Onboard and engage groups using the suites of tools and services provided to partner organizations.
- Coordinate a subset of national partners’ involvement with America Votes’ planning processes nationally and in states.
- Provide strategic guidance to partners for program and plan development.
- Identify new and needed coalition partners to help build the most reflective coalition.
- Represent America Votes at external convenings.
- Assist the National Political Director as needed.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum of four years of campaign or political experience, including electoral and issue advocacy.
- Understanding of modern campaign tactics, data and targeting, and campaign plans with a strong field component.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, particularly in political and organizing settings.
- Excellent political judgement and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability in working with coalitions and stakeholders.
- Ability to negotiate, build consensus, resolve conflicts and strategically disagree.
- Outstanding listening, interpersonal, communication, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Willingness to work campaign style hours and to travel, as needed.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and GoogleSuite.
- Experience with IE campaigns preferred.
- Spirit of service and a sense of humor preferred.
Location and Compensation
Both positions are based in Washington, DC. Salary is commensurate with experience, $70,000-$75,000. Benefits include health, dental, vision and 401(K).
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.