A Better Wisconsin Together - Executive Director
Executive Director, A Better Wisconsin Together
A Better Wisconsin Together is in search of an innovative and experienced leader to serve as the first Executive Director of our new organization.
The Executive Director will play a key role in shaping progressive message strategy and pushing back on conservative framing in one of the country’s most important Presidential battleground states.
A Better Wisconsin Together is a new, state-based 501c4 organization which will serve as the center for progressive message development and dissemination in Wisconsin. Through cutting-edge paid and earned communication tactics, A Better Wisconsin Together will engage citizens on a broad range of issues critical to promoting a progressive public policy agenda at the state and federal levels.
The Executive Director will work closely with a coalition of state partners to deliver innovative approaches to issue education and advocacy. Using cutting-edge technology, the Executive Director will lead efforts to amplify voices of Wisconsinites and hold conservatives accountable for the real-life effects of their policy-making decisions.
The ideal candidate is a proven progressive leader, a strategic thinker and possesses a deep understanding of latest innovations in message development and delivery. The Executive Director will have experience in the campaign and issue advocacy arena, along with coalition and management expertise.
This is an incredible opportunity for a collaborative leader to play a key role in ensuring progressive perspectives are heard throughout Wisconsin in 2020 and beyond.
- Build a new organization from the ground up with significant support and guidance from state and national stakeholders
- Lead a multi-million-dollar communications campaign using all available and appropriate tactics including earned media, paid media, and digital
- Engage coalition partners in the strategy development and execution of A Better Wisconsin Together’s work
- Create and execute a 2020 plan for message development and dissemination that includes the latest innovative approaches to research-based message testing
- Drive communications that utilize cutting-edge technologies to deliver data driven messaging to targeted audiences
- Manage a core team of four to seven staff plus consultants
- Play a key role in the progressive infrastructure leadership team in Wisconsin
- Participate in fundraising efforts to support the work of A Better Wisconsin Together
- Manage the legally appropriate relationships with state and national political party committees
- Develop and track the budget and manage fiscal operations of the organization
- Manage and collaborate closely with a volunteer board of directors
- Work with legal counsel to review documents and plans
- Assure all required reports are filed in a timely fashion
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years’ experience leading advocacy, political or independent expenditure activities or campaigns for progressives, preferably at the statewide level
- Extensive knowledge of the latest innovations in message development and delivery techniques, with an emphasis on the digital space and other emerging engagement methods
- Superb interpersonal skills, with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Expertise in building, maintaining and working in diverse coalitions
- Experience managing staff and consultants in a positive, team-oriented environment
- Experience developing and managing multi-million dollar budgets
- Previous work in or knowledge of 501c3 and 501c4 organizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with the work of the Analyst Institute is a plus
- Experience in Wisconsin or a politically similar state is highly desired
Location and Compensation
This position is located in Madison, Wisconsin. A Better Wisconsin Together is intended to be part of the progressive infrastructure beyond 2020.
Salary is commensurate with experience, $125,000-$145,000.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
A Better Wisconsin Together is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. A Better Wisconsin Together does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.