NARAL Pro-Choice America - Deputy Director of Strategic Research
Deputy Director of Strategic Research
For 50 years, NARAL has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion.
NARAL is powered by our more than 2.3 million members — in every state and congressional district. We represent the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when, and how to raise a family.
We organize and mobilize in neighborhoods, communities, cities, and states, galvanizing millions of people to take action to defend reproductive freedom in the face of unprecedented attacks.
We are the oldest and largest national membership organization primarily focused on advocating for abortion access. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
NARAL is seeking a Deputy Director of Strategic Research to help lead our deep-level research and messaging program. Our nuanced and sophisticated research is the backbone of rethinking and reshaping how NARAL and our allies talk about abortion and reproductive freedom and combating the anti-choice opposition’s disinformation.
The ideal candidate is curious, organized and resourceful with excellent writing and editing skills and a solid understanding of opinion research and messaging. This person will work on multiple projects at once and should have a track record of success as a project manager.
Duties include guiding research and messaging projects internally and with outside stakeholders; editing and writing reports, memos and proposals; and translating research into understandable information for staff; presenting research findings; and providing training opportunities on messaging.
You’ll be a great fit if you’re passionate about reproductive freedom, have excellent project management skills, the desire to gain expertise on opinion research and message testing and are excited to be a part of this innovative work that is key to the reproductive rights movement.
- Work with the Vice President of Communications and Strategic Research to guide messaging research and polling projects internally and with outside stakeholders
- Project manage multiple messaging research projects
- Partner with key staff to develop and finetune research and polling projects
- Coordinate meetings, timelines and communication amongst stakeholders
- Translate research findings into digestible and understandable information for internal and external stakeholders
- Edit research reports, proposals, and other materials as needed
- Coordinate with development staff on grant and donor proposals;
- Develop trainings and resources for NARAL staff, affiliates, members, coalition partners and other stakeholders to help equip colleagues with messaging to assist in their work
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-6 years of relevant work experience
- Flexibility and willingness to conduct research in an innovative way, looking beyond a conventional approach to political polling/public opinion
- Deep desire to grow and learn in the role
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- An understanding of research methodology
- Demonstrated success as a project manager
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to handle challenges with tact, diplomacy and flexibility
- Ability to work with a variety of high-level stakeholders, internally and externally
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to shepherd large scale projects in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s goal of ensuring every person is able to make their own decisions about pregnancy and preserving abortion rights
- Commitment to contributing to a workplace environment in which diversity is valued and supported
- Willing to work as a team member and to contribute to a positive team environment
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
In addition, it would be a bonus to see any of these qualifications in a candidate’s background:
- Statistical expertise
- Polling or modeling experience
- A background in academic research
- Graduate degree in a relevant field
- Experience with message testing
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Vice President of Communications and Strategic Research
This Position Is: Full-time, Exempt, Non-Union
Salary Range: $80,000- $95,000, depending on experience
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer. All our positions require a sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.