Political Director- New England Regional Council of Carpenters
Political Director – New England Regional Council of Carpenters
Organization and Position Overview
The New England Regional Council of Carpenters (NERCC) is seeking an experienced and strategic leader to serve as its Political Director. The Council represents over 28,000 carpenters, pile drivers, shop & millmen, and floorcoverers working in New England and New York state.
This is an incredible opportunity for a talented leader to grow and build a sophisticated political program in a union with a long, successful history of advocating for workers and their families.
Working closely with the Council leaders, the Political Director will shape and set the agenda for the Council’s political program, which seeks to empower members to take action that will help them and their families. The Director will strengthen the political capacity of local unions, union staff and members to hold power in their communities, and at the state and federal level.
The Political Director will lead electoral, legislative and issue-based campaigns to advance this aim. The Director will build and maintain relationships with key political figures, including federal, state and city elected and appointed officials, contractors, labor unions and community organizations.
The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator with a deep belief in the power of union membership and collective action, a commitment to elect champions for working families and a desire to build independent political power for NERCC members and families.
NERCC is part of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters, one of North America’s largest building-trades unions, with nearly a half-million members in the construction and wood-products industries.
NERCC Values and Vision
NERCC believes that well-paid, well-trained carpenters mean well-made, safe and long-lasting construction that will serve communities well over time.
The work that carpenters do touches every aspect of our society. Likewise, the construction industry is impacted by the work and action of countless groups, employers, agencies and decision-makers. For that reason, it is important that carpenters remain involved and vocal about activity that impacts their lives.
NERCC advocates for all working carpenters, whether they belong to the union or not because all workers deserve fair wages, benefits, and safe working conditions. Additionally, every contractor should be able to compete on a level playing field, where everyone plays by the rules. NERCC is committed to maintaining area standards across the construction industry.
Beyond what’s legal, members stand up for what is right. They speak out in their communities and beyond about protecting standards for quality—for work, the treatment of those who produce it and the community as a whole.
NERCC embraces differences and welcomes all. We actively promote diversity within our ranks with programs that encourage women, people of color and returning veterans to join the union and our staff.
- Develop strategies to grow political power for members
- Work with the Officers, state and local union leaders and other senior staff to help shape and set the overall agenda for NERCC’s political program
- Direct the development and implementation of the political program, including:
- Member engagement, training and activation around electoral, legislative and issue campaigns
- Passing legislation
- Endorsements in support of candidates for elected office at every level
- Design and lead efforts to increase political activism among NERCC’s membership
- Marshall the resources of the union to build political power, including volunteers, endorsements, and campaign contributions.
- Working collaboratively with Council leaders and other senior staff, manage relationships and coalitions with partners, including other labor unions, union contractors and community organizations
- Drive the candidate evaluation process, including endorsements and contributions
- Oversee the hiring, supervision and development of political department staff
- Ten or more years of political experience in political campaigns, issue advocacy organizations, labor unions or community organizations
- Ability to work with a diverse staff across a large jurisdiction
- Ability to inspire and energize members to take political action
- Proven ability to develop and implement strategic plans for political, legislative or issue-based campaigns
- Demonstrated experience in and knowledge of political campaigns, including field, polling and targeting
- Experience working within and building coalitions
- Demonstrated their commitment to the mission, vision and values of NERCC
- Experience in flexible and fast-paced environments is a plus
The position is based in Boston, Massachusetts. Extensive travel and work in the field is required.
The position offers a competitive salary and an outstanding benefits package.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you are the right person for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
NERCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.