Deputy Political Director - NARAL Pro-Choice America
NARAL Pro-Choice America Seeks
DEPUTY POLITICAL DIRECTOR
As one of the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy groups, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than 1.2 million member activists from all 50 states and our network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
The primary purpose of NARAL’s Political Department is to build political power for the organization. We define political power as the ability to: win short-term fights like elections and legislative battles; create, sustain, and wield permanent infrastructure for future fights; and effectively advance a worldview where all women and families have the ability and the support to decide for themselves when, if and how to have children.
The Deputy Political Director works directly with the National Political Director and is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen NARAL’s political and issue campaign infrastructure. The Deputy will help write and implement campaign plans for electoral activities and issue campaigns on the national, state and local levels. They will lead and manage multiple, time sensitive projects and work with key allies to set plans and programs.
The ideal candidate is a campaigner at heart with a collaborative working style. The Deputy will possess excellent judgment and an eye towards detail. The Deputy will feel comfortable working with a high level of autonomy and thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious work environment.
- Write and implement campaign plans for electoral activities and issue campaigns on the national, state and local level.
- Collaborate with national and state staff and NARAL affiliates to develop campaign plans that maximize coordination, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure coordination between departments related to electoral/political activities and issue campaigns.
- Define electoral strategies, plans and benchmarks in coordination with NARAL departments and affiliates.
- Work with NARAL departments, affiliates and state staff to integrate political strategy into issue campaign and membership acquisition efforts.
- Identify and develop relationships with key partners and stakeholders.
- Manage projects with competing deadlines and needs.
- Serve as a NARAL representative at speaking engagements, meetings and with coalition partners.
- Occasional travel to work with partner organizations, allies and coalitions.
- At least five years’ experience in federal, state, issue and/or electoral campaigns.
- Experience building power with both 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Development and implementation of political education and training programs.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious work environment.
- Outstanding judgment, discretion and decision-making skills.
- Work in a membership organization.
- Relationships in the progressive community and experience working in coalitions.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working within a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required.
- Commitment to NARAL's mission and goals.
- Experience with the reproductive freedom movement is a plus.
We’d also love it if you:
- Are fluent in a second language.
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge of FEC regulations.
- Possess a familiarity with VAN.
- Hold knowledge of state political party operations.
- Have experience with ballot measure campaigns.
This position reports to the National Political Director. This position is Exempt, Non-Union, Management Level 5.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.